Hello everyone. This time of year can be a stressful time and its important in all the commotion to enjoy it and make memories. Every family has their own traditions so why not start your own as a couple. Below I have put my top 10 traditions for couples.
1. Buy a meaningful ornament that sums up the year-You don’t have to buy this at Christmas time, keep an eye out all year. Another option is to visit a special Christmas shop and choose one together. It should represent the events and or experiences of the year. These can be things like passing your driving test, getting a new job or promotion. It could also be important life events such as getting married, having a baby or important holidays.
2. Putting a hot drink in a thermos flask and drive round looking at Christmas lights- Sometimes when money is tight we need to be more creative with our ‘special’ time because we still want to make memories to last a lifetime. Driving out to see the lights is very inexpensive but can be very romantic.We all have houses in our areas that have huge displays that seem to take more electricity than the rest of the village together. It might be fun to watch these each year and see what they do next.
3. Watch Christmas Movies together and pick ones you will return to year after year. How many films you choose to watch depends on your own schedule. Paul and I work contrasting shifts so the time we have together is limited. We will watch a Christmas movie once a week leading up to Christmas. We have a large collection so will have to choose carefully our new ‘traditional’ films.
4. Take time to sit together and talk. Christmas is such a busy time and can be stressfull so its important to take time out.Listen to Christmas music, while cuddling and sipping hot chocolate or festive coffee. Turn all the lights off apart from your twinkling Christmas lights.
5. Go Christmas shopping together. Start off by buying gifts for your friends and family, this will be nice for you to plan together who you think would like which gifts. Then go and sit down and have a coffee or hot drink together. Then go your separate ways and shop for each other. Remember to arrange a place and time to meet afterwards.
6. Pick a Christmas Candle Scent The sense of smell is linked to memory, the smell of a particular sent can transport you back to a particular time or place. Why not find a scent together that you can burn every Christmas and remember past Christmases.
7. Christmas Photo Scavenger Hunt
Items to Find on Your Christmas Scavenger Hunt
· Something wooden
· One artificial flower from a poinsettia
· White, green or red button
· Something old
· See if you can name all of Santa's reindeer
· A sprig of real mistletoe (be careful-skip if small children or pets are involved)
· A photo of something Christmasy
· Something in black and white print
· A white birthday candle
· A small piece of Christmas wrapping paper
· Any type of hair accessory
· One Christmas bulb
· One gold Christmas ball ornament
· Paper cup with something Christmasy on it
· Green rubberband
· Piece of lace at least 2 inches long
· A Christmas card
· Sing a couple rounds of Jingle Bells
· Piece of string at least 6 inches long
· Any size battery
· Book of matches
· Napkin with a logo
· Find a Salvation Army bell-ringer and donate some money
· Either a red or green Crayon
· Packet of ketchup or hot sauce
· Salt or Pepper
· Red straw
· Small toy
· The names of 3 Christmas songs
· Something broken
· A peppermint candy cane
· Do at least one good deed while you're out
8.Build a gingerbread house. Many supermarkets and online retailers sell gingerbread house kits they can be inexpensive and picked up for under £5. It will be fun to personalise or decorate this together. The smell will be wonderful too.
9.Hot chocolate Bar This is another idea that can be as budget or as extravagant as you wish. I like the sachets you can buy in supermarkets as this means you can have different flavours. Remember the little extras like marshmallows, sprinkles or chocolate dust. This gives you something you can look forward to and enjoy together.
10 Christmas Eve Box The first year you do this you could actually put some time into sourcing and personalising the box itself. Then it comes to filling it. Think about the experience you want to have on Christmas Eve and this will effect what you put in. I want it to be a Christmas Focused , cozy and relaxing evening to look forward to. I would have new warm PJ’s, a Christmas DVD, Christmas themed snacks and cosy socks.
Please have a look at my vlog on this on my Youtube Channel. Do you have any Christmas Traditions? Please put them in the box below:-