A classic wardrobe is a collection of clothes that no matter what the current trends are, is always in fashion. In order to build a classic wardrobe you need to collect items that are not only timeless but are flattering shapes and colours for your figure. Always choose items that you can mix-and-match to give different looks. When buying your basics remember to buy then in neutral colours as they are most versatile think black, grey, tan, dark brown, white, and cream.
The basics-items which are ageless
- Keep a variety of fitted vest/tank tops and camisoles. These can be used in layering under other clothes or wearing with cropped trousers or skirts on a summer day
- Invest in a neutral knee-length pencil skirt. Go with black for the most versatility.
- Buy smart trousers in a neutral colour. Take your time in choosing the right cut to flatter your legs.
- Own a white, fitted blouse
- Look for a jacket that matches the colour and/or style of your pencil skirt and smart trousers.
- Purchase a few colourful jumpers in varying thicknesses. Choose colours that work well with your skin tone and styles such as polo-neck
- Have one thick cardigan and one thin one
- Find your perfect little black dress. A good little black dress can be dressed up for semi-formal occasions or dressed down for nights out.
- Have at least one pair of flattering jeans. Look for dark-wash denim and a classic style, e.g. boot cut
- Also own a pair of flattering linen trouser. Sometimes there is an occasion where jeans are too casual and suits are too dressy.
- Purchase a long fitted coat suitable for all weather. Think trench and chesterfield style
A few seasonal basics
- Keep a few dresses handy for warm spring and early summer weather.
- A Maxi-dress is a summer must. It can be summer glamour in the day or dressed up for dinner in the evening.
- Purchase cropped trousers for the warmer weather. Choose a length and cut (loose or fitted) that flatters your legs.
- A Cashmere V-neck top can be useful. The cashmere is light but warm ,perfect for those unpredictable days
- Consider purchasing a fitted double-breasted coat in a shorter length for autumn and winter.
- Add a splash of colour, look for tops in colours that co-ordinate well with your skin tone.
- Search for pinstripe trousers or blouses.
- A pair of black leggings perfect for mix-and-match and layering
- White T-shirt short and long sleeve.
- White jeans: A more glamorous type of jeans, they are effortlessly cool. All they need is a cashmere V-neck on top for a casual look. They even work in the winter paired with a jumper dress or a fur (faux)
- Sunglasses – not just to protect your eyes from the sun but are great for creating a cool, glamorous or trendy fashion statement out in the sun. Nothing is more important than selecting the right pair for your face shape and features.
- Scarves are amazing at adding interest or a pop of colour to a plain outfit.
Keep your jewellery box stocked with accessories that are always stylish.
- When buying jewellery look for classic stones like diamonds and pearls. Look for basic gold and silver chains. It’s good to have a mix of both metals. Have more of the metal that suits your skin tone best, if you have fair, rosy skin silver looks best, while those with yellow tints to their complexion usually look best in gold.
- Own at least one basic pendant necklace.
- Those who have pierced ears should have a selection of studs, hoops, and dangly earrings.
- Have a gold or silver bracelet; they look great with almost anything. Choose eye-catching bracelets as your wrist, being a smaller part of the body is most often near your hips, which is often the widest part of your body, drawing attention to your wrist, not your hips.
Shoes the basics.
- Own a pair of high-heels. Black court shoes are considered the most popular. Pointed toes tend to elongate your leg, but either will do depending upon your outfit
- Look for a pair of kitten-heeled sandals for summer events.
- Consider a pair of boots for autumn and winter. They are a must as we want to stay warm, but not compromise on style.
- Keep a pair of ballet flats (nude, black, bright colour or print) these can be dressed up or down
- A pair of Uggs. For me warmth and comfort are important these boots provide this but they are so versatile you can wear them with jeans, joggers, dresses, skirts or leggings.