Hey everyone I saw this great recipe on UKTV Food and wanted to try it. I wanted to make these cupcakes with the most inexpensive products possible to prove you don't have to spend a lot of money to bake. The cost to buy the ingredients £5.17 and most of the ingredients will only be part used.
6 Oreo biscuits
115 g unsalted butter, softened
115 g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
100 g self-raising flour
20 g cocoa powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp milk
50 g butter, softened
80 g cream cheese, cold
175 g icing sugar
6 Oreo biscuits
1. For the cupcakes: preheat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line a muffin tin or baking tray with 10 paper cases. place one oreo into the bottom of each case.
2. Cream together the softened butter and caster sugar, along with the vanilla extract, until pale and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Add the two beaten eggs and mix well, taking care to stop once all of the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add the milk and beat briefly to combine.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
*TIP: Do not open the door until ready to take out or the cupcakes will collapse.
5. For the icing: place the six Oreos into a food processor and whizz into crumbs or place the cookies into a plastic food bag and smash with a rolling pin. Set aside.
6. Rub the softened butter into the icing sugar using the back of a wooden spoon. Do the same with the cream cheese.
7. Once the icing sugar has been incorporated, whisk with an electric mixer until light and fluffy or with wooden spoon.
8. Gently fold the Oreo crumbs into the icing. Place in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
9. To decorate: cover each cupcake with the icing.
*Tip: Double the icing recipe as I found there was not enough icing for all the cupcakes and the icing was on the stingy side.
Hope you enjoyed this, take care x